Lead-Based Paint

The BrickKicker Provides Quality Testing for Lead-Based Paint

From EPA research, it is estimated that lead-based paint was applied to approximately two-thirds of homes built in The
United States prior to 1940 and one-third of homes from 1940-1960.

Here are some effects of lead exposure.

logo1

Low-Level Exposure

Lead exposure can cause reduced IQ, learning disabilities, attention deficit disorder, and behavioral problems.
logo2

High-Level Exposure

High levels of lead exposure can result in life-threatening effects. These range from comas, convulsions, and death.
logo3

Children

Childhood exposure can cause low educational achievement, school drop-outs, and behavioral problems.

How Does Lead Enter A Home?

Lead is able to enter the air within a home when surfaces covered with lead-based paint are scraped, sanded or heated with an open flame in paint stripping procedures. Once released into the home’s atmosphere, the lead particles circulate into the air and can be inhaled or ingested through the mouth or nose. Additionally, lead particles freed in fine dust or vapors settle into carpet fibers or fabric can be re-circulated into the air by normal household cleaning procedures such as sweeping and dusting along with normal hand- to mouth behavior of young children, which may result in ingestion of potentially harmful lead.

If in reasonable condition, it is advised to leave lead-based paint undisturbed. Other options include covering paint with wallpaper, other building material or completely replacing the painted surface with the help of a professional. To determine if paint within a home contains lead it is enlisting the assistance of a licensed lead inspector to test for it.

Frequently Asked Questions about Lead-Based Paint Inspections

Here at The BrickKicker we’re dedicated to being your home consultants for life. Whether you have a question a day or a year after your inspection, we’re here to help. You can also see our resources page, which provides helpful maintenance tips.

Generally, the older the home, the more likely lead paint was used on and in it. This is especially true for homes built prior to 1950, but lead-based paints were widely used up to the time they were banned for residential purposes in 1978. However, the presence of lead paint does not necessarily mean that it presents a hazard. To present a health threat, it must somehow enter the body. Paint that is well cared for generally does not pose a danger. However, even in well-maintained homes, friction and impact surfaces, such as door jambs or sliding windows, can create fine lead dust that can be inhaled or swallowed.

The surest method is to use the services of a certified lead-based paint inspector. An inspector can tell you if there is lead in the home; a risk assessor can tell you the extent of the hazard. Home test kits for lead are available, but may not always be accurate. Consumers should not rely on these kits to determine if lead is a hazard in their home. The home test kit can only tell you if lead is present on a surface. It cannot tell you how much lead there is, if there is a lead paint hazard, or what needs to be done to repair the hazard.

Lead is a powerful neurotoxin that interferes with the development and functioning of almost all body organs, particularly the kidneys, red blood cells, and central nervous system. In young children, lead retards the development of the central nervous system and brain.

Schedule an Inspection with The BrickKicker!

We Have Other Services!

Each of The BrickKicker franchises is independently owned and operated.
Please contact your local The BrickKicker to determine what services are available in your area.